Santa Barbara Courthouse
 
 

Since 1850 this site has been the home of local government and a place of civic pride and celebration. Visitors from around the world come to see the courthouse, mural room or grounds; and hundreds get married in the Mural Room or in the Garden every year. The County Board of Supervisors caused the construction of this, now historic courthouse in 1926, after the smaller Greek-Revival courthouse was damaged in an earthquake of the previous year.

The building was dedicated on August 14, 1929 with a ceremonial setting of the bronze medallion provided by the Native Sons of Golden West, with the mixing of the ingredients of  water from each of the California Missions; with sand and gravel from each of the counties in California; and cement from local sources; all on the main stage with a packed crowd of residents and visitors looking on during the 1929 celebration of Old Spanish Days.

    

   

 

Welcome to the Santa Barbara Courthouse website.

On your visit, see...

  1. -The Mural Room (2nd Flr)

  2. -The Law Library (2nd Flr)

  3. -Hall of Records

  4. -The Grounds

  5. -The Clock Gallery, and

  6. -Observation (view) Tower

Courthouse Location...

1100 Anacapa Street

Santa Barbara, CA  93101

Open to the Public...

Week day hours:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Weekend hours:

10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Open all U.S. holidays except Christmas Day.


While admission is FREE, a donation is suggested to help with conservation projects.


Events at the Courthouse.

Inside contact the County General Services Depart. and events on the grounds contact County Parks.

  1. -